Subject: Re: [boost] Change to guidelines for characters in C++ source files
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-25 19:33:58

On 26 June 2015 at 01:15, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 25.06.2015 17:12, Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> It looks to me like it is high time to change the Boost guideline for C++
>> source file encoding to 7-bit ASCII without BOM or UTF-8 with BOM, and to
>> change the inspect program accordingly.
>>
>> Comments?
>

> Why not just always assume UTF-8, whether there is BOM or not? I don't think
> UTF-8 BOM makes much sense, and I don't think editors commonly insert one.

Also, http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch02.pdf says:

"Use of a BOM is neither required nor recommended for UTF-8,
but may be encountered in contexts where UTF-8 data is converted from
other encoding forms that use a BOM or where the BOM is used as a
UTF-8 signature. "

Best regards,

--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net