Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: QVM (generic Quaternion, Vector and Matrix operations library)
From: Andrew Hundt (athundt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-02 01:47:03

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Emil Dotchevski <emildotchevski_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Michael Marcin <mike.marcin_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 6/26/2015 1:30 AM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> > What I mean is Boost.Geometry already has adapters for point types among
> > other things.
> > You are providing adapters for matrix vector and quaternion types.
> >

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/libs/geometry/doc/html/geometry/examples/example__adapting_a_legacy_geometry_object_model.html
> >

> It seems to me Geometry is about shapes and shape operations and iteration.
> QVM has nothing to do with shapes or iteration, but it defines a complete
> set of generic namespace-scope quaternion/matrix/vector operations, which
> Geometry doesn't. I also think that it shouldn't: if you want to use such
> operations with Geometry types just use the QVM adaptation machinery

I've always dreamt of boost.geometry supporting 3d, and qvm might be a way
to accomplish that. However, it might make the most sense for
boost.geometry 3d components to utilize qvm under the hood to implement 3d
geometric functionality rather than make qvm part of boost.geometry.
Perhaps others can imagine better ways to accomplish these goals.

Cheers!
Andrew Hundt