Subject: Re: [boost] Ternary logic programming
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-05 20:21:07

On 5 Jul 2015 at 7:15, Robert Ramey wrote:

> So the question arises - what else is here for us to mine? Just taking
> a cursory look at literature in this area, it would seem that there is
> likely something interesting for us here. So if one wanted to implement
> one or more if the multivalued logics already studied along with a good
> document describing use cases and limitations that I think would be
> interesting. But spending huge amounts of time trying to agree on some
> particular usage seems to me sort of overkill - but maybe not - after
> all it's fun and interesting to talk about.
>
> But I'm skeptical that this would lead to something like a useful boost
> library.

If one were to accept Charley's proposal that ternary logic enter the
C++ standard, a good first step towards standardisation is a Boost
library which makes ternary programming intuitive and powerful.

I think Bjorn is right that the truth tables need to be set per use
case. I also think you probably need some framework for sanely
managing when different ternary truth tables collide. All that in an
easy to use and intuitive syntax.

I think there is a great potential Boost library in there, one
potentially standardisable. But it's also far beyond my ken. For me
at least, I've left my tribool in as a pure switch...case state test
method, and I'm leaving the logic disabled for now.

After all, just ten days to the AFIO review now.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/