Subject: Re: [boost] svn.boost.org wiki
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-17 07:52:54

On 16 Jul 2015 at 15:40, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> > An upgrade of Trac to the latest version would give us Trac <=> Github issue integration so both
> > trackers become synchronised and git commit messages are deeply integrated with both trackers.
> Trac
> > has been able to do that for years now, but our Trac is very old.
>
> I feel this is very unfortunate.
>
> It would be easy to say "Start again with some new system" but it would be very sad if we lost all
> the history in Trac.

Especially as upgrading Trac is trivially easy, I agree.

If one were intending a future relocation of issue tracking from Trac
to Github, it's also the easiest way of bridging between the two.

> > I failed to even do a trial run of such an upgrade due to nobody knowing who has the keys to the
> > servers anymore.
>
> Thanks for your effort so far trying this.
>
> How can we progress this?

We need to find someone with root privs on the server hosting Trac.

That person needs to do as root a trac-admin dump of the existing
Trac install and send it to me.

I've volunteered do a trial run upgrade of that Trac dump on a VM
here locally and report back here and to the SC on how well it went.

If it goes very well, we then schedule a weekend for Boost Trac to go
down and I do the upgrade by repeating exactly my earlier steps.

Be aware that as of today I am unemployed, and therefore have time to
do things like Trac upgrades. But if no new remote work contracts
turn up soon, the chances are by this time next month I'll have to
relocate to our capital city for some on-site 6 month contract, and
I'll have to rescind my offer to trial this upgrade as I suspect I
will no longer have the free time. After all, it's a four hour daily
commute from here to the capital.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting