Subject: Re: [boost] [mpl] Problem with VC++14 and boost::mpl::size_t
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-27 15:29:37

[Edward Diener]
> I submitted the bug to MS Connect. The bug number is 1593471

Thanks, JonCaves is testing a fix now.

> My experience with MS Connect is that
> unless I can reduce code to something which does not include any
> non-VC++ or non-Windows header they cannot figure out anything or take
> the bug report seriously.

Self-contained repros that avoid dragging in third-party code have at least two major benefits: they are more likely to be real bugs in the toolset, and they are significantly easier to investigate.

When I report compiler bugs (and due to the nature of my work, I file something like 150 per year), I try to reduce them all the way down to library-free repros, so the compiler devs don't need to dig through vast amounts of STL internals that they don't understand as thoroughly as I do. Reducing repros takes some time, but it's usually not very hard - I just have to throw away irrelevant code, but it's code that I'm familiar with, so I know how to chop it down. And in return, I get fixes quite rapidly. We don't expect customers to be able to reduce repros all the way down to library-free, but if you can chop out Boost, that really helps.

(For ICEs, preprocessed repros are usually sufficient, although smaller is always better.)

STL