Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] proposal: treat reparse files as regular files
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-30 00:38:31

On 30/07/2015 15:54, Paul Harris wrote:
>> If you have a look at the very next paragraph in the quoted message,
>> that's what I said. :)
>>
>> (The part you quoted was repeating what the blog said, not as a
>> recommendation for Boost library behaviour.)
>>
> Sorry, you mean this bit :
>
> There was also a note that you can use IsReparseTagNameSurrogate to
>> determine if a given reparse point tag is a surrogate (some kind of link)
>> or not (treat like regular file). That might be the best option, if it's
>> consistent -- and at least for the official MS tags it seems to be;
>> MOUNT_POINT and SYMLINK are surrogates and the other types are not.

Yes. Admittedly it was perhaps a bit unclear; I expanded on this in my
reply to Niall earlier today, which does have a recommendation, although
not down to specific APIs.

I'm still assuming that he wants to distinguish between "fast files" and
"slow files" in some way, but both should be "regular files" -- there
should be a separate API to ask if they're fast or not, if that
distinction is useful.