Subject: Re: [boost] [http] Formal Review
From: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira (vini.ipsmaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-13 11:43:56

> Anyway - I was thinking along the same lines at various points. Having a
> function that pre-generates HTTP messages is very useful IMO, and should
> likely be included. Designing a good parsing concept would be a bit more
> work I think, but probably worth it too. I'm not sure how the author
> intends to swap out parsers in the current design. Having a fixed parser
> seems acceptable, but the author almost seemed to suggest that it could be
> selectable somehow.

A parser doesn't make sense for all communication channels.

Currently there is one communication channel: basic_socket<T>

basic_socket<T> is meant for embedded servers (will be extender for lean
HTTP client connections in the future) and is tied to the HTTP wire format,
so it uses an HTTP parser. I don't expose the parser because I use a C
parser that is limited to the C (lack of) expressiveness. When I replace
this parser by a better one, I'll change the situation. I don't plan to
allow selectable parsers for basic_socket, but it'd be useful to select
parser options (like strict parser, liberal parsers, max header size and so
on...).

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://about.me/vinipsmaker