Subject: Re: [boost] [build] Algorithm for setting PATH when a 'run' or 'run-fail'
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-17 16:03:56

On 8/17/2015 4:18 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]

First mingw(-64)/gcc ---

Setting the PATH must be done in the individual .jam file for a
particular compiler. I can see, using the b2.exe -d2 switch, that when I
use mingw(-64)/gcc on Windows that there is a line that prepends to the
Windows PATH a number of directories ( including the 'bin' directory )
off of the parent of the one I specify as as the gcc executable in my
user-config.jam whenever a 'run' or 'run-fail' is invoked in a jam file.
I am not sure where it is in the jam file ( I haven't looked ) but it
must be there somewhere.

Another interesting feature of mingw(-64)/gcc is that the 'bin'
directory of any given implementation must be in the Windows PATH just
to compile/link with mingw(-64)/gcc !!! Here is the logic for this as
given to me by the mingw-64 developers: "Since you will need the 'bin'
directory to be in the PATH in order to run a program created by
mingw-64/gcc ( because of the DLLs there ) we force you to have the
'bin' directory in the Windows PATH when you compile/link." In other
words it is not enough to simply invoke gcc or g++ with the full path of
the executable. The mingw(-64)/gcc developers have cleverly set the
directory structure in such a way that doing so will not work. Isn't
that brilliant ?

My solution to this is that my executable path for a particular
mingw(-64)/gcc implementation, in my user-config.jam, is actually a
batch file in the implementation's 'bin' directory which prepends the
'bin' directory path to the Windows PATH and then invokes the g++
command. This works fine whenever I use it manually to test a particular
library. My batch file sets the PATH for compile/ink time and the
individual gcc .jam file evidently sets it for 'run' or 'run-fail' time.
What is mysterious, and I still have not figured this out, is when I try
to run regression tests with various versions of mingw(-64)/gcc there
are run-time failures where mingw(-64)/gcc DLLs are not being found.

Second clang ---

I can also see, using -d2, that setting the PATH for 'run' and
'run-fail' is not done for the clang jam file. The obvious reason for
this is that clang does not use anything in its own 'bin' directory at
run-time, but rather uses whatever is in the 'bin' directory of the
mingw(-64)/gcc implementation which it uses as its RTL. So the problem
with clang is: the Windows PATH must point to the particular
implementation of the mingw(-64)/gcc it is using both at compile/link
time and at run-time.

I solve the compile/link time problem for clang like I do for
mingw(-64)/gcc, since I also test multiple implementations of clang. My
clang executable, in user-config.jam, for any given implementation of
clang, is actually a batch file which prepends the PATH of the
particular mingw(-64)/gcc implementation's 'bin' directory to the
Windows PATH and then calls the appropiate clang++ executable. However
at run-time I must use a different solution. My solution is based on the
fact that clang 3.4+, clang 3.5+, and clang 3.6+ can only use the mingw
directory structure ( and not the mingw-64 directory structure ) for its
mingw/gcc implementation and that those implementations only look in
c:\mingw for its implementation. For the soon to be released clang 3.7
and the current source clang 3.8 those restrictions are lifted. So what
I do anyway, to solve the run-time problem, is put 'c:\mingw\bin'
permanently at the end of my Windows PATH and for any given clang
implementation my compile/link batch file:

1) Does a 'rmdir c:\mingw' if it exists.
2) Does a 'mklink /d c:\mingw some_mingw(-64) implmentation.
3) Does what I said above: prepends the PATH of the particular
mingw(-64)/gcc implementation's 'bin' directory to the Windows PATH and
then calls the appropiate clang++ executable.

This is all ver kludgy but does work when I test out clang manually
against various Boost libraries using bjam. Needless to say I really
don't like the earlier version dependence of clang's reliance on
c:\mingw at all. If some executable, created through mingw(-64_)/gcc or
clang is being run from outside the bjam testing environment it will
fail because the run-time path of the appropriate mingw(-64)/gcc RTL
will not be set. I think this is what is happening with running the
regression tests. Of course I can stick some mingw-64/gcc
implementation's bin directory in the Windows PATH permanently, to solve
all run-time problems, but then I couldn't test multiple versions of gcc
and clang.

No doubt the clang jam file should be updated to somehow automatically
prepend a mingw(-64)/gcc RTL implementation specified by the user to the
Windows PATH for the 'run' and 'run-fail' situations. If I really knew
bjam, rather than having just dabbled at it, I could probably do this.
But I have never really studied bjam and Boost build, and like others,
have just dabbled at it long enough to do a few really simple things.
The syntax still bothers me as well as the difficulty of actually
understanding how things work and what functionality is available.