Subject: Re: [boost] [build] Algorithm for setting PATH when a 'run' or 'run-fail'
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-18 15:02:13

On 8/18/2015 9:51 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]

<g>.

Actually I just like to test Boost code on Windows with something other
than any of the 6 different VC++ releases ( 2008 through 2015 ) I could
use ( well let's applaud Microsoft for putting out 6 different releases
in 7 years ). I know that gcc and clang are technically better C++
standard conforming compilers than VC++ and I am too much comfortable
with Windows to use any of the Linux distros I could also run very much.

> Have you any experience of using http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/about or do you use mingw-builds or
> mingw-64?

Prior to mingw-64 I used mostly mingw/gcc from Sourceforge with an
occasional foray into TDM. With mingw-64 I use the all-purpose
mingw-w64-install.exe program, which works quite nicely.

I have found mingw-64 to be better than mingw, but all mingw(-64)/gcc
implementations have the problem I described where you can't even
compile/link by just invoking
'some_mingw_gcc_implementation_path/bin/g++ command_line_parameters...'
but must either do it from within the
'some_mingw_gcc_implementation_path/bin' directory or have the
'some_mingw_gcc_implementation_path/bin' in the Windows PATH. It is
absolutely fruitless arguing with the mingw(-64) people that this
restriction should not be necessary. These people are absolutely
brain-dead if you argue against their "chosen way", ie. they chose it so
it must be technically right.

>> No doubt the clang jam file should be updated to somehow automatically prepend a mingw(-64)/gcc
>> RTL implementation specified by the user to the Windows PATH for the 'run' and 'run-fail'
> situations.
>> If I really knew bjam, rather than having just dabbled at it, I could probably do this.
>> But I have never really studied bjam and Boost build, and like others, have just dabbled at it
> long
>> enough to do a few really simple things.
>> The syntax still bothers me as well as the difficulty of actually understanding how things work
> and
>> what functionality is available.
>
> Would asking on the Boost-build <boost-build_at_[hidden]> for help from Bjam Gurus help?

No, such questions are never answered on that mailing list. Even simpler
questions I ask there are usually unanswered. The assumption appears to
be that if you want answers, beyond what is in the documentation, you
need either a very specific case or you need to understand bjam and
study the actual Boost build distributed jam files which make up the system.

> Lots of things are possible - if you know how.

I am sure. I need the energy and will to understand Boost build and bjam
but somehow lack it.