Subject: Re: [boost] Unicode characters in filenames
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-21 22:34:40

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 8/17/2015 3:21 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>
>> On 17/08/15 11:40, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>>
>>> KISS - no Unicode in filenames.
>>>
>>> (I know that this is very English-speaking-centric, but there isn't
>>> really a strong need?)
>>>

>> I was assuming that given the file name, the file is auto-generated, in
>> which case it is the tool that needs fixing to make sure names are
>> always ASCII.
>>

> What happened is...

I'm not too concerned about this particular instance. I was just looking to
understand what the community thinks the guidelines should be on this.

>From the responses I've seen, it seems that we probably shouldn't have any
unicode character filenames checked into source control. Should we have a
tool that checks this? How about adding that check to the smoke tests that
the release managers do?

Tom