Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] AFIO review postponed till Monday
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-22 10:06:35

> > Did the review commence Friday? (Did the announcement mails only get
> sent to
> > the -announce list?)
>
> As far as I am concerned it did :). However until Ahmed announces it
> I suppose it has not.
>
> If you want to get started, everything is ready at the usual places
> and the CI dashboard is all green on all supported platforms and
> targets (the one fail was a timeout due to me pushing the CI too
> hard, it's not important).
>
> Today I'll be spending swapping my dev workstation hard drive as I
> killed the poor thing this week during testing the AFIO tutorial
> workshop examples. I'll then press on with finishing the final
> key-value store example which is described in detail in the tutorial
> but is currently without code nor benchmarks. That new code won't be
> part of this review, but I can link to it here with benchmarks when
> it's ready.

While I don't really care about your poor hard drive (what has this to do
with the review?, why do I need to know this?) I would like to express my
deep concern that this review apparently starts before the library has been
finalized. I admit that I have not even looked yet - neither at the code nor
the documentation - and the review manager most likely thinks it's ready,
however the whole 'it will start next Monday' thing (or is it 'Friday' now?)
and the constant postponement because of things which have to be
added/finished/tested/etc. tell me that this library is not ready for prime
time yet and it most likely will not be very useful for Boost users at this
point as it will keep changing massively...

For this reason, I would like to suggest to wait until the dust has settled
and the library has gained at least a handful of users outside of Boost who
could report on its usability, and then reschedule the review.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu