Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] [afio] Formal review of Boost.AFIO
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-23 17:57:20

Le 23/08/15 18:59, Niall Douglas a écrit :
> On 23 Aug 2015 at 18:42, gentryx_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
>>> Niall, Ahmed, it will be very difficult to review this library as it
>>> has
>>> dependencies on libraries that are not adopted by Boost. The
>>> documentation is full of references to both libraries APBind and Monad.
>>>
>>> If they are internals, no mention should be done on the documentation.
>> AFAIK Monad is visible to the user as AFIO functions return them.
> Correct. I summarise everything you need to know about monad<T> on
> the first page of the tutorial
> https://boostgsoc13.github.io/boost.afio/doc/html/afio/quickstart/work
> shop/naive.html.
>
> They can be treated as if an always-ready shared_future<T>.
Let me see if I understand what must be reviewed.

 From the words of Ahmed

> Boost.AFIO was brought to Boost as part of GSoC 2013 and Niall Douglas has
> continued to develop and improve the library since then, generating two
> internal implementation libraries Boost.APIBind and Boost.Monad which are
> expected to be separately brought for Boost review in 2016.

I understood that these library are internal implementation, but when I
read the documentation I see that it is plenty of references to these
libraries and that in addition, I have the impression that the AFIO
interface depends on both.

So if we need to review AFIO, Monad and APBind at once now all the
public features must be completely documented.

I believe that I need something more about monad<T> than what I have
found in the documentation.

BTW, the link to Boost.Monad [1] is broken in
https://boostgsoc13.github.io/boost.afio/doc/html/afio/overview.html.

[1]
https://ci.nedprod.com/job/Boost.Spinlock%20Test%20Linux%20GCC%204.8/doxygen/group__future__promise.html

> Looking over the references in the docs to APIBind, I agree I
> over-mention APIBind, and I have logged
> https://github.com/BoostGSoC13/boost.afio/issues/87 which is to
> remove all mentions of APIBind in the docs.

Just a question, does the user need to use some APBind interfaces or is
this just an internal implementation detail (Sorry, I don't know nothing
about APBind)?

It will be easier to know the scope of the review and what is left for
the near future. Is the monad part of the review?

Best,
Vicente