Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] [afio] Formal review of Boost.AFIO
From: Andreas Schäfer (gentryx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-24 01:37:25

Niall-

On 17:59 Sun 23 Aug , Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2015 at 18:42, gentryx_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> > >Niall, Ahmed, it will be very difficult to review this library as it
> > >has
> > >dependencies on libraries that are not adopted by Boost. The
> > >documentation is full of references to both libraries APBind and Monad.
> > >
> > >If they are internals, no mention should be done on the documentation.
> >
> > AFAIK Monad is visible to the user as AFIO functions return them.
>
> Correct. I summarise everything you need to know about monad<T> on
> the first page of the tutorial
> https://boostgsoc13.github.io/boost.afio/doc/html/afio/quickstart/work
> shop/naive.html.

Which links to [1], a link that yields a 404. Via [2] and [3] I found
[4]. Is that the current documentation of Monad? In "Complexity
guarantees" some of the minimum complexities exceed their maximum
counterparts (e.g. "51 opcodes <= Value transport <= 32 opcodes").
What's that supposed to mean? What is the rationale behind citing
minimum complexities? And why do you measure opcodes instead of, say,
time?

Since you mentioned monads were basically identical: why don't you
just use std::future?

Thanks!
-Andreas

[1] https://ci.nedprod.com/job/Boost.Spinlock%20Test%20Linux%20GCC%204.8/doxygen/group__future__promise.html
[2] https://github.com/ned14/boost.monad
[3] https://ned14.github.io/boost.monad/
[4] https://ned14.github.io/boost.monad/group__monad.html

Andreas Schäfer
HPC and Grid Computing
Department of Computer Science 3
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
+49 9131 85-27910
PGP/GPG key via keyserver
http://www.libgeodecomp.org
(\___/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination!