Subject: Re: [boost] Monad
From: John Bytheway (jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-26 10:29:26

On 2015-08-25 13:50, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2015 at 17:49, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
>
>>> But let me clear, if anyone can suggest a similarly short, instantly
>>> recognisable, uniquely standout name for monad<T>, I'm all ears.
>>
>> OK - here's a concrete suggestion.
>> [snip]
>> these are all *outcomes* - of varying types of varying and unspecified Thingy.
>>
>> So rather than Thingy or Donkey, how about:
>>
>> Outcome<R>
>
> I like Boost.Outcome and boost::outcome::basic_outcome<Policy>.
>
> Do these make sense however:
>
> outcome<T>: Can be empty/T/error_code/exception_ptr.
>
> result<T>: Can be empty/T/error_code.
>
> option<T>: Can be empty/T.
>
> If people like this, I can change Boost.Monad to Boost.Outcome very
> easily.

I like this selection. I think it's better than your existing choices
both for those people who know what a monad is (because they won't be
annoyed by its stealing the name) and for those who don't (because it's
more descriptive).

(I agree that naming these things is a nightmare, and it's a shame so
much time has been and probably will be spent on it)

John