Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] Formal review of Boost.AFIO
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-01 19:59:56

On 31 Aug 2015 at 20:57, Darren Cook wrote:

> >> Or, something like Redis, because it is fast, established, and most
> >> importantly is cluster-ready. (*)
> >
> > This is like comparing SQLite to Oracle. They have totally different
> > use cases.
> >
> > Even beyond that again, AFIO is not a database. It's a set of
> > primitives from which one can build file system applications which
> > could include a database.
>
> What other applications are likely to use AFIO? (In the sense that it
> will make the application distinctly faster, more useful or easier to
> maintain than if existing C++ file system functions were used.)

I have two planned (transactional key-value store (Boost) and
transactional graph store (commercial)).

The real point though is that until you provide someone the basic
primitives, nobody knows what they'll dream up. It could be anywhere
between nothing and a key technology which redefines the face of
computing. Portable abstraction libraries of basic primitives lower
barriers to entry to experimentation, hence their particular value to
innovation.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting