Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Boost.test failures in develop
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-05 16:35:50

Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I do not believe so. By my count about 10 out of 50 are c++03.
>
> I'm not sure what you're counting,

I count configuration running c++11 capable compilers. gcc 4.8 is c++11
capable regardless if decide to test in in c++03 mode or not.

> > There is no reason to develop new code, which is bound to c++03
> > compatibility. Anyone interested in old code can use older releases of
> > boost.
> This is not reasonable since it'd require from the user to manually
> replace only the Boost.Test code with some older version released in the
> past or stop using Test. Everything the libraries authors are dealing
> with now could more or less be an issue for the users.

My claim was: there is little reason for user bound to c++03 to upgrade to
new version of boost in a first place.

> By "workarounds", do you mean conditionally-enabled features? You'll
> always have some workarounds/#ifdefs, if not for c++03 then for c++11,
> c++14, etc.

That's true, but problem grows exponentially once you try to maintain some
combination of c++03, c++11, c++14, c++17 (and so on) code. At some point
code becomes unreadable and thus very difficult to maintain.

Gennadiy