Subject: Re: [boost] git reset and force push
From: Agustín K-ballo Bergé (kaballo86_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-07 11:44:39

On 10/7/2015 12:26 PM, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
> Le 07/10/15 15:54, Agustín K-ballo Bergé a écrit :
>> On 10/7/2015 10:27 AM, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
>>> The purpose of this thread is to have a better idea of the practices of
>>> boost, also wrt. a potential nondestructive hard reset (non destructive
>>> in the sense that the commits have been cherry picked on appropriate
>>> topic branches).
>>>
>>> So far, 1 is against :) (but since you are an experienced git user, you
>>> would not mind neither to reset boost.test).
>>
>> Since you are counting, make that 2. A force push has already happen
>> once in the past, unintentionally, and it was a disruptive process not
>> only for developers but also for external test runners.
>>

> I am curious how external test runners are impacted. Do you have more
> details on this?

Test runners are not necessarily prepared to deal with history rewrites,
since those are a frowned upon practice in "public" branches (I'm
surprised it's even being considered here). A force push would cause
spurious failures in those runners, which forces (pun intended) someone
to look at it, notice that someone misbehaved, decide on a fix, pester
the sysadmin for weeks until the fix is applied, etc.

At least, that's how it went last time.

Regards,

--
Agustín K-ballo Bergé.-