Subject: Re: [boost] git reset and force push
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-07 12:49:17

Raffi Enficiaud wrote:

> Le 07/10/15 17:02, Andrey Semashev a écrit :
>> On 07.10.2015 16:27, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
>>>
>>> Since the organization of boost.test is biased by the runners, our
>>> develop branch will become a kind of release branch (like master for
>>> other less coupled modules). Our internal develop branch (not called
>>> develop but something else) will accept force pushes, but this is fine
>>> since it is not meant to be checked out by anyone but boost.test
>>> developers.
>>
>> There's one problem with this approach, if you intend to accept patches
>> or pull requests. What branch are they supposed to be against? So far
>> the general rule was to create PRs against develop. Others have
>> mentioned problems with forks in case when history is rewritten, so
>> maybe PRs will become unusable.
>>

> The patch can be rebased manually before being commited. This is what
> they do in eg. CMake and it is working quite well.

Speaking as an upstream CMake maintainer, this statement is not true.

Once a commit is reachable from the master branch it is definitely not
rebased. The master branch does not get rewritten. Rewriting long-lived
branches is wrong.

Temporary branches under review can get rebased. That is very different.
Then the temporary branch gets merged to master and the temporary branch is
removed.

Thanks,

Steve.