Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.test failures in develop
From: Raffi Enficiaud (raffi.enficiaud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-07 19:16:11

Le 05/10/15 22:43, Robert Ramey a écrit :
>>> c) I have my whole boost development tree to set to master branch so I'm
>>> testing against the next release. Only the serialization submodule is
>>> set to develop (or a feature branch).
>>
>> Unfortunately this is not the way test runners operate
>
> LOL - That's my point exactly. And it is one of the sources of these
> problems. If things were run the way I suggest, you could make a
> temporary mistake in development of Boost.Test which wouldn't ripple
> though to all the libraries which use it for development testing. It
> would make your life a lot easier.

This is also what I suggested (I believe), and something we can envision:

- cloning out full boost
- checking out a particular branch (say "next") of eg. boost.test
- running the runner with the source in place (using the --have-source
switch)

This builds will be triggered only by changes to boost.test[next], so
that it will be boost.all against boost.test[next]. This will add
several columns to the test dashboard.

I think for libraries having a lot of children in the dependency graph,
this would be very beneficial.

> It makes no economic sense to go back and re-write working code to just
> because there is a new standard. There is no benefit unless one want's
> to add features. Some might say that it makes maintenance easier - but
> this is a decision that only a the library maintainer is qualified to make.

In this very case, the changes were also adding features.

Best,
Raffi