Subject: Re: [boost] [nowide] Library Updates and Boost's broken UTF-8 codecvt facet
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-08 17:57:18

On 10/8/15 1:17 PM, Artyom Beilis wrote:

> See, all this is already implemented in header only way in Boost.Locale - so no linking required.

good to hear.

> https://github.com/boostorg/locale/blob/master/include/boost/locale/utf.hpp
> https://github.com/boostorg/locale/blob/master/include/boost/locale/encoding_utf.hpp
>
> So just call boost::locale::conv::utf_to_utf<wchar_t>("Hello World");
>
> Full codecvt_facet for many encodings - inluding UTF-8, ISO-8859-*, Windows-125*
> are already there as well

excellent

> However there is very useful specific codecvt - that converts between utf8 and wchar_t/char16_t/char32_t
> that can be implemented in header only without linking with big and complex Boost.Locale library.

also good.

> Also I'm going to make it little bit more generic so you can implement wchar_t/char16_t/char32_t to
> any stateless encoding easily (I want to improve some stuff withing Boost.Locale as well)
>
> So utf8 codecvt facet is INTEGRAL part of Boost.Locale already - it exists there.

so what are we talking about?

> Just I think I'll make it more accessible to general libraries without requirement of linking
> and easiler to use by users without need of special locale generation.

LOL - So what I'm hearing here that there is already the codecvt facet
created as part of Boost.Locale and all we need is to enhance the
documenation in order to make it more obvious to those of us that need
it. I've been hoping all along that we've have something like this.
Some time ago I have Boost.Locale a cursory look in search of such a
thing. It's quite possible it's always been there and I didn't see it,
that's it's "implicit" and obvious to someone who has read and
understood he rest of the documentation, or that the library has evolved
since I did this or all of the above. In any case I'm very interested
in this.

> Ok... I decided what I'm going to do.

OK - do this and let us know, I'll look it over again and give you some
feedback from a novice.

> Next step is for other libraries to adopt this utf8_codecvt facet.

LOL - you do your part - and the rest will happen.

Robert Ramey