Subject: Re: [boost] [Hana] Transferring repository to boostorg on GitHub
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-15 12:29:47

Rene Rivera <grafikrobot <at> gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
>
> No idea.. But does this <https://help.github.com/articles/transferring-a-
> repository/#redirects-and-git-remotes> handle that aspect?

No. My issue is documented here [1]. They say:

    If the transferred repository contains a GitHub Pages site, then links to
    the Git repository on the Web and through Git activity are redirected.
    However, we don't redirect GitHub Pages associated with the repository.

In particular, _I think_ this means that `ldionne.github.io/hana` will _not_
be redirected to `boostorg.github.io/hana` after the transfer. Even worse,
`ldionne.github.io/hana` will now show a 404 instead of an helpful page saying
"woops, this has moved!".

That means that all links to the documentation (e.g. on StackOverflow, my
presentations, this mailing list, etc..) will now be broken. Furthermore, I
can't re-create a repository called "ldionne/hana" and overwrite the GitHub
Pages site there to redirect to the new site, because creating a new repo
will short-circuit the automatic redirection of git pull/push/clone/etc.. to
the new Hana repository in boostorg. I sent a support request to GitHub to
confirm my interpretation, and to ask for a fix if my interpretation is correct.

Regards,
Louis

[1]: https://goo.gl/GSYQd0