Subject: Re: [boost] Math tools polynomial enhancements
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-30 13:53:56

> I'm thinking it would be a variadic tuple.
>
> here's what I had in mind:
>
> // define a polynomial with coefficients of type T (int, float, etc)
>
> template<typename T>
> using polynomial = std::tuple<T ...>
>
> // now define some operators on these polynomials
>
> template<typename T>j
> // polynomial addition - easy to implement
> operator+(polynomial<T>lhs, polynomial<T>rhs);
> // other ops ... easy to implement
> // polynomial division - aaaa - more compilicated to implement
> operator/(polynomial<T>lhs, polynomial<T>rhs);

These are all good ideas, however since polynomial above *is* a tuple,
you have just added arithmetic operators for all tuples, which is not so
good :(

I suspect the explosion of template instances for any non-trivial uses
would also explode compile times?

Of course C++17 may (or not) fix both of the above.

A simpler alternative might be:

template <class T, size_t N>
class polynomial;

Which implements a polynomial of maximum order N. Multiplication would
have to be mod x^N as I can't think of an error handling mechanism that
works for both runtime and constexpr contexts?

Best, John.