Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and auto_ptr (was Boost 1.60.0 beta 1...)
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-11 12:49:02

On 2015-11-11 20:05, Artyom Beilis wrote:

> Ok when I started for example Boost.Locale few years ago No major widely
> available compiler had provided unique_ptr.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu LTS 14.4 (a distro one year old with long support) and gcc-4.8
> does not support regular expressions yet!
>
> At another place I'm using up-to-date RHEL 6.x... it comes with gcc-4.4 and guess
> what is C++11 support level is there?

For the record, gcc 4.4, let alone 4.8, do provide unique_ptr. I've been
using unique_ptr for a few years now (since circa 2011-2012, I think).
I've been using gcc 4.4 in our production projects in C++0x mode for a
few years until we upgraded to 4.7. Yes, 4.4 is buggy in many ways, but
it still supports the fundamental C++11 features, including rvalue
references (early version of) and unique_ptr. IMO it is fair to say that
most currently wide spread C++ compilers do support C++11 to some degree.

> There is HUGE difference between the standard release time and what world
> actually uses... MSVC does not even support properly C99 yet and it was released
> more than a decade ago and it is C much simpler language.

MS and C is a whole different story. MSVC never supported C properly,
and I don't think it ever will. They do try to support C++ better, at
least feature-wise, at least in parts that are not C.