Subject: Re: [boost] Status of the CMake-ification
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-17 11:26:06

On 2015-11-17 19:06, Robert Ramey wrote:

> b) Bjam permits one to have one build file refer to another. CMake
> might permit this, but it's sufficiently unobvious that I couldn't
> figure it out. This is useful for us. For example if I want to build
> (and run) tests for the serialization library, it will automatically
> build the libraries it requires and nothing more - just by invoking the
> build script from within the test directory. CMake might be able to do
> this - but it's very non-obvious how one would do this.

Not sure I understood you correctly, but it works very naturally in
CMake. If your target foo (say, an executable) links with library bar
(i.e. has bar in target_link_libraries) and there happens to be a bar
library in the source tree, CMake will build bar and link foo with it
automatically. Furthermore, if bar is a static library and it itself
depends on other libraries, CMake will build and add those to the foo
linking command line.