Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in an LLVM library?
From: Andy Jost (Andrew.Jost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-18 22:54:58

Andrey Semashev wrote:
>On 2015-11-19 02:23, Andy Jost wrote:
>> Phil Endecott wrote:
>>
>>> What Boost libraries are you using in your implementation?
>>
>> Only Boost.Preprocessor.
>
>Did you consider Boost.Proto?

Yes, but expression templates are not the right concept for this library because programs are built dynamically. Consider the task of writing a compiler. A reasonable approach would be to write a Boost.Spirit parser that uses the proposed library to encode the semantic actions, thereby building the program. I don't think Boost.Proto can do that, but I could be missing something obvious.

Also, LLVM manages the program representation for us, providing only handles to internal objects. Therefore, I think the AST and transformations provided by Boost.Proto would be redundant at best. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Andy