Subject: Re: [boost] build and install boost subset does not install the header files
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-21 19:18:33

> On 21 Nov 2015, at 23:10, George Georgiev <george.georgiev.sf_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> After some digging in the jam files adding headers as target solved the
> problem. Is this something new?

Yes, as of about 2 years ago. When you build from git repositories “b2 headers” is needed to stage all headers in the BOOST_ROOT/boost directory, in particular headers that is not used when you build boost. After transition to “modular” git based source code structure "b2 install" is still using files in BOOST_ROOT/boost as source for headers. There is no propper dependency to the git controlled headers in each respective git submodule.

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ModBigPicture
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost

I think this is the only documentation of this workflow for git repository based boost builds. That could be improved, or even better the stage and install targets should be improved to work without the explicit call to the headers target.

—
Bjørn