Subject: Re: [boost] [qvm] Terseness of syntax etc.
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-12-09 09:36:20

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Phil Endecott <
spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Imagine the scenario where someone picks up some code written by someone
> else and needs to understand it: they really need to be able to read
> it without referring to the documentation for an obscure library first.

+1

> As an aside, I think it would be useful to present a motivation for the
> "swizzling" operations. I.e. a simple "real" example of why you might
> want to "swizzle".

Because sometimes you need to. :) For instance, some graphics APIs lay out
colors in RGBA order, others in ARGB, yet others in RBGA, etc. Many APIs
do many or even all permutations.

> Also, I find the word "swizzle" a bit odd.

It's a term of art that everyone who needs it already knows. It should not
be changed.

Zach