Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc]Seeking Guidance
From: Niall Douglas (gsoc-admin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-12-20 09:46:04

On 20 Dec 2015 at 14:28, toshad.salwekar wrote:

> > I am a sophomore, majoring in Computer Science. I am also a GSoC'16
> > aspirant. Its the first time I would be contributing to an open
> > source
> > project.
> >
> > Can someone please guide to a small project/patch suitable for a
> > beginner?
> > I have familiarity with C++ programming language along with basic
> > understanding of C and Python. Also have some elementary knowledge of
> > Git.
>
> Me too.
> I have been following the mailing list for some time now, waiting for
> something suitable to come up.
> Any help will be really appreciated.

No one will hand hold you here, this isn't a school. It's up to you
alone to seek out suitable projects for which there is an available
mentor, and for which you will have to work at it by reviewing Boost
libraries for gaps which could be filled by a summer's worth of work,
and then trying to find a mentor willing to supervise that work.
Nothing will be given to you here for free, and GSoC selection at
Boost is *very* competitive - you are competing against the very best
students everywhere on the planet, so you need to play your top
A-game.

You might consider starting with approaching last year's successful
GSoC students and asking them for advice for example. They are more
likely to respond usefully. Shortlisting Boost libraries down to a
subset you are interested in would also be useful. Shortlisting that
shortlist into a small list of potential projects you post here would
be even more useful.

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2016 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2016