Subject: Re: [boost] [BPM] Supporting an alternative to meta/libraries.json
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-05 19:34:58

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[snip]

> In summary,
>
> 1. Using dotfiles allows other tools to see this meta information as it is,
> and to deal with it properly.

I don't see how using dofiles, dotdirs or regular directories affect
tools. AFAIU, tools are able to access dotfiles/dotdirs the same way
they're accessing meta/libraries.json now.

> 2. Using dotfiles sticks to a well-established convention for storing meta
> data in a non-intrusive way:
>
> Travis => .travis.yml
> Git => .git, .gitignore, .gitmodules, ...
> Bash => .bashrc, .bash_profile, .bash_history, ...
> Hg => .hgignore
> Rbenv => .rbenv
> LLDB => .lldb

FWIW, I hate that some of the examples above spur a bunch of dotfiles
in my home directory or local copy of a repository or whatever. I
would very much prefer if we had a directory with these files, and
possibly not store all sorts of unrelated metadata in a single JSON
file. I have no preference on how this directory is named.