Subject: Re: [boost] ATTENTION: Library requirements..
From: Sam Kellett (samkellett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-08 04:40:16

On 8 January 2016 at 09:32, Rainer Deyke <rainerd_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 07.01.2016 18:11, Robert Ramey wrote:
>
> > Useful applications of javascript that occur to me are:
> >
> > b) syntax coloring for code examples
>
> I disagree that this is a valid use of Javascript. Code examples are
> static, so they can and should be statically colored. This means that
> the syntax highlighting exists even if Javascript is disabled.

that's massively open to human error and adds a substantial workload on the
dev which could be better spent (re)writing the actual documentation
content to a better level.

these are the top 4 hits for googling 'javascript syntax highlighting':
 - https://highlightjs.org/
 - http://prismjs.com/
 - http://alexgorbatchev.com/SyntaxHighlighter/
 - https://craig.is/making/rainbows

all 4 of those look suitable on first glance.

if boost were to pick one and provide a syntax file for doc writers to use
they would provide a unified code example look across the entire library
for no extra work from each maintainer. seems like a win to me?