Subject: Re: [boost] [BPM] Supporting an alternative to meta/libraries.json
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-10 22:28:23

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Rene Rivera <grafikrobot <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2 <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > If there are other uses, could you please elaborate? This is not
> > > rhetorical; such uses would point out other places that need to be
> > > changed to accommodate my proposal.
> > >

> > I don't know all of them ATM. Daniel maintains some extra tools that deal
> > with that file. So he will need to tell us.
>
> Ok no problem. Let's hope Daniel sees this thread.

We'll probably need to start another thread so he notices.

I guess this is personal preference, then. Outside of an IDE, I find it very
> useful to have commands like `ls` exclude dotfiles and dotdirs by default.
> But again, you could argue for the contrary, so let's assume this is not a
> strong argument for or against.

Indeed.. As I add aliases to ls that show the dot files :-) Since it's
become popular to hide dot files ;-)

> > [...]
> >
> > > 2. Suggest using a .boost _directory_ instead of a single file
> > >

> > Renaming the directory seems like a better choice to me.
>
> In retrospect, it probably is a better choice indeed. The changes required
> to existing tools would also be even more trivial, and we could easily do a
> batch renaming for all modules.

OK, thinking about it more, now that my brain has time.. I think the best I
can think of is to have the dir be ".boostlib". It directly communicates
the intended use "Stuff about the Boost library".

Yes, exactly. When reasonable, I want to minimize the cohesion between Hana
> and Boost. In its current state, Hana is a completely standalone library,
> which also happens to work inside the Boost tree. I'd like it to stay that
> way, since I find it gives me more freedom to use Hana the way I want.

Interesting that Predef is also that way :-)

> [...]
> >
> > Right. You will definitely need help. At least to go in and merge all the
> > PRs involved in this. Since only admins (aka the release team) has enough
> > privileges to do this unilaterally. And it needs to be unilaterally,
> since
> > the last time we did such a change (creating that meta dir) it was
> > impossible to get authors to help.
>
> If I provided a script to do it, could someone from the release team update
> all the repositories?

Sure.

> Such a script should be fairly simple to write, but in
> comparison creating 100+ PRs and merging them would be quite cumbersome.

Note, I would prefer if the script did *everything* needed to do the
rename. Which means starting from nothing, doing the clones, branch
switches, renames, commits, and pushes.

> One
> problem I see is for those libraries maintained as forks; in this case the
> original repository would need to be updated, which would require authors
> to cooperate. But I think all libraries maintained as forks have authors
> that are around, so it should be doable.

Wouldn't they get merge conflicts and be forced to resolve them?

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything