Subject: Re: [boost] ATTENTION: Library requirements..
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-11 10:03:05

On 2016-01-11 17:42, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> I use the PDF version regularly when updating Boost.Math - mainly to find things that I know are
> there (because I wrote them!) but can't find where.
>
> It's the find/search power that is the killer application. (And it is portable of course).
>
> And all this discussion focussing on the *look* of documentation is ignoring our main weakness -
>
> how to FIND what you want to know???

Personally, I never search for anything in html. This is just nearly
useless because even if I find what I'm looking for the result is
difficult to read (in a text viewer, which for me is mc in 99% of cases
and far in the other 1%). That is assuming my search doesn't produce a
lot of noise results due to html markup.

I've never seriously used pdf docs for Boost. I understand that it
should be better in terms of noise results, but it just too inconvenient
and heavy for me to use. Since most of the work I do is done from mc or
a code editor like QtCreator, the pdf viewer feels like a fifth wheel
(with a flat tire).

So, when I search for something, I search in either the source code or
the docs sources. Which is why I like QuickBook - it is perfectly
readable in the source form and doesn't clutter the content with the markup.

I'll emphasize that the above is written from the perspective of looking
for something. When I want to learn something, i.e. read a considerable
amount of text, possibly following links, I use html. It beats pdf as
navigation is much easier.