Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in Computable Calculus?
From: Brook Milligan (brook_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-12 22:05:20

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 7:40 PM, Damian Vicino <damian.vicino_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I’m interested in developing basic support of “real numbers” for computable calculus applications.
>
> In particular, my initial scope would be the 4 arithmetic operations (+, -, *, /), and the comparison operators (<, =) for reals.
>
> Someone is interested in such a library in boost?

Would this be an appropriate step toward more mathematically correct real number types for general use, or would it be limited to computational calculus applications? For example, are there underlying algorithms for common mathematical functions? I assume abs() is easy, but what about things like exp(), log() or pow()?

I commonly run into the need for types that better correspond to mathematical reality for scientific computing and feel we need much better support along those lines. If this will lead to that, I’m all for it.

Cheers,
Brook