Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] boost::hash - different values for the same input?
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-14 12:59:10

On 01/14/2016 06:18 PM, Phil Endecott wrote:

> I use Boost.CRC for that sort of thing:
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_60_0/libs/crc/index.html

The protocols I am using do not use fingerprinting for error correction
but rather for identifying data chunks. See for instance:

   http://people.eng.unimelb.edu.au/jzobel/fulltext/jasist03thz.pdf

You will notice that equation (1) on page 207 looks an awful lot like
the default boost::hash implementation.

Just to be sure, I do use my own implementation instead of boost::hash
(and hash_combine) because Daniel does not guarantee its consistency.
That is fine with me, but I really would like to see some named hash
functions in boost that do not change, as Andrey suggested.

This sounds like a suitable a GSoC project...