Subject: [boost] [gsoc16] Attn: We need 2016 mentors and project ideas for Boost!
From: Niall Douglas (gsoc-admin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-18 04:27:00

Dear Boost community,

We are now within one month of the beginning of Google Summer of Code
2016! Last year's GSoC was a particularly momentus one as we
witnessed the approval by the community for Boost.Hana to enter Boost
- congratulations to Louis and his mentor Joel for bringing to Boost
a very exciting new C++ library which pushes C++ compilers to their
limits. We have also seen greatly improved retention of GSoC students
in the community thanks to the improved student selection procedures
introduced last year, and the fresh blood brought into Boost has been
very evident on the mailing list this year.

As part of filling in our application for 2016, we must supply to
Google a
list of potential GSoC mentors and potential GSoC projects for summer
2016 in order to be approved as an organisation this year. Therefore
a lengthy page of awesome project ideas at
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2016 before *February 8th*
would be an enormous help to getting us approved again this year and
bringing to Boost another US$35,000 of Google funding.

If you think yourself able to mentor a student doing some work on
Boost
this summer, *please* consider adding a description of the proposed
work
item and your name to the list. Last year we had more slots awarded
to us by Google than we had good combinations of student and mentor,
so we had to return slots which I believe has not happened here at
Boost GSoC in at least a decade. That means that your project ideas
have a better chance than ever of receiving funding if you can find a
good student, and that is best done by getting project ideas floated
*early*.

If you want to know more about mentoring a Google Summer of Code
funded student work before you nominate yourself, please feel free to
ask on the main Boost developers mailing list boost_at_[hidden]
or via gsoc-admin_at_boost.org. Thank you in advance for your time.

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2016 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2016