Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] build2 - C++ build toolchain
From: Boris Kolpackov (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-05 02:13:52

Hi Robert,

Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> The name build2 in the context of boost suggests that it's the next
> version of boost build.

I am not sure what you mean "in the context of boost" exactly, but
build2 is in no way specific to Boost.

The name 'build2' is derived from 'build' (as in "build, take two") which
is a GNU-make based build system that's been around for more than 10 years
now.

Also, 'build2' has been around for some time now. In fact, I gave a talk
on it at the last year's C++Now where I prominently used that name. Not
a single person raised this concern.

So I am afraid it is too late to change the name now (everything uses
the build2.org domain, mailing lists, etc). If you would like, I can
add an entry to the FAQ explicitly stating that this is not Boost.Build
v2.

Boris