Subject: Re: [boost] expected/result/etc
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-13 07:49:07

On 12 Feb 2016 at 13:28, Emil Dotchevski wrote:

> Yep. Recently we shipped a game on Nintendo 3DS, 60 fps stereo, exception
> handling and RTTI enabled, STL used throughout. Peter helped me get
> boost::shared_ptr work on that platform, evidently we were the first
> developer to use Boost on that platform. :)

Impressive. That platform has an unhelpfully limited dev environment.

> > As I mentioned, it's about *assurance*: given a pool of average
> > programmers, how can you (technical leads and management) be assured
> > they will write on average low worst case latency C++? This is why I
> > expect exceptions disabled C++ to remain around for a long time to
> > come, and why AFIO v2 and Outcome will eventually support exceptions
> > disabled.
> >

> Such arguments do push my buttons so I get involved, but I have very low
> tolerance for how much I'd compromise my library designs to accommodate
> incompetent technical leads. If you think that you've made your library
> harder to use without empirical improvements in performance, isn't that a
> problem?

Well, I look at this way: give the customer what they want.
Especially if you want to pass a peer review. As you saw during the
AFIO peer review, rationally arguing with people has no effect. They
want what they want, and that's that, so if you want them to use your
library, give them what they want.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting