Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Python gsoc project
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-16 10:49:43

On 16.02.2016 10:38, Barun Parruck wrote:
> Hi! I'm a student looking to get involved with the open source through
> boost. I was looking through the gsoc projects, and the one involving
> Boost.python, by Stefan Seefeld piqued my interest! I was wondering what
> sort of student you'd be looking for for the project, more details about
> what the project would entail, and what sort of programming competency test
> I would have to pass.

Hi Barun,

I put these points on the wiki only very recently, as vague suggestions.
There are many things that would be very valuable contributions to
Boost.Python. Specifics of potential GSoC projects on Boost.Python
should be the result of discussions between student(s) and mentor, not
something pre-defined.
I haven't thought (yet) of specific competency tests. Basic knowledge in
Python and advanced knowledge in C++ are certainly required, as is the
ability to build Boost.Python (on at least one supported platform). It
might also be a good idea to skim over open issues
(https://github.com/boostorg/python/issues) or pull requests
(https://github.com/boostorg/python/pulls) as a way to discuss the
current state of the project, which will likely reveal your ability to
dive into the code.

Feel free to follow up in private if you are interested and want to
discuss details.

Regards,
        Stefan