Subject: Re: [boost] [config] config.requires and simple_run
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-25 04:27:15

> I've just been trying to get MinGW working
> without requiring the compiler's bin directory
> to be in the PATH. It mostly works now, but
> unfortunately I ran into problems with
> simple_run_action. The problem essentially is
> that this rule ignores RUN_PATH, which may be
> set by some toolsets (a quick grep shows borland,
> cw, gcc, and intel) to indicate additional
> paths that must be added to PATH when running
> the executable. In addition, I'm wondering
> how this is supposed to work with a cross-compiler.
> We really shouldn't be requiring cross-compilers
> to have access to the target system for ordinary
> builds.

All good points: ideally this feature would simply use the regular "run"
rule, but this breaks the regression testing for some reason :(

BTW RUN_PATH seems to be under-maintained, because I've never managed to
get Intel tests to run without manually setting up the Intel environment
first.

The cross compiler issue is a good one - normally this rule is used only
for testing rather than building the libraries - however it would be
nice to have a better solution.

John.