Subject: Re: [boost] [doc] Liven up Boost Documentation with Java Script?
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-26 10:35:29

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 3:34:22 PM UTC-6, Kris wrote:

> > On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 9:18:28 AM UTC-6, Krzysztof Jusiak
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Rob Stewart <rob.s...@
> &gt; <javascript:>>
> > wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > I see no value in that. The library is supposed to be in good working
> > > order and I wouldn't care to verify that from the docs. Instead, I'd
> > expect
> > > a link to where such things can be viewed and managed.
> > >
> > > I just looked at the DI docs and I now see that you meant being able
> > > run sample code shown in the docs. If the sample program was somehow
> > > interactive or the code was editable such that one could experiment
> with
> > > it, then I can see the value.
> > >
> > > Your "Run this code!" button hides some of the code!
> > >

> > Yea, that was my point for the user to be able to easily experiment
> before
> > really trying the library. A lot of users won't download the library and
> > check it out, but IMHO, some of them
> > may actually click the button and check what will happen. Moreover, some
> > users (me, for example) when see code example are curious what will
> happen
> > if...
> > Documentation will not cover all cases, but if user can quickly check it
> > might be beneficial, I think.
> > If it comes to interaction itself, I was thinking of creating an
> > interactive tutorial for the users. For example, a lot of people do not
> > see
> > benefits in dependency injection and having
> > a quick exercise to adopt code with or without DI could have changed
> their
> > mind.
> >
> > One of the examples where user can interact a bit more...
> >
> http://boost-experimental.github.io/di/extensions/index.html#types-dumper

> > > I can understand that comments would permit quick notes on what's
> > lacking
> > > or unclear, but I also wouldn't want comment loading to slow page
> > > or for their display to detract from the information. Thus, having a
> > means
> > > to display them, on demand, probably with a sticky bit, would be a
> > > reasonable compromise.
> > >

> > Point taken. Therefore, I have prepared 3 themes for the users.
> > * Boost-Experimental - the fancy one -
> > http://boost-experimental.github.io/di
> > * Boost-Modern - more like Boost but still interactive -
> > http://boost-experimental.github.io/di/boost-modern/
> > * Boost - classic Boost (no Java Script) -
> > http://boost-experimental.github.io/di/boost/
>
> > BTW, my boost theme still uses javascript for syntax highlighting. I
> would
> > like to add a variable to disable javascript highlighting(or perhaps
> pick
> > different highlighting theme). This way the user could highlight using
> > pygments
> [...]

Ah yes, tables is something that needs improving. I was working with the
boost
CSS, and it doesn't seem to have anything for css tables. I think boost book
styles the tables with HTML. I'll take a look at what you did for tables and
try to integrate that in.

Also, mkdocs will include automatically all javascripts files in the
documentation source directory, plus additional files can be included using
the `extra_javascript`. However, I don't know if the boost theme supports
this yet(I haven't had a need for it yet), but it should be supported.
Plus, I
think this might be a good place for some of the javascript until it gets
official approval in boost.

Paul