Subject: Re: [boost] [doc] Liven up Boost Documentation with Java Script?
From: Boris Schäling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-26 12:53:38

"Krzysztof Jusiak" wrote in message

> * Run the code online (allows to check library with one click)

The #1 request on http://theboostcpplibraries.com/ is to make the output of
the sample programs available right after the examples. I like that this is
what happens when I run code online. However it might be better if the
output was always immediately available (without having to run code first)?
(This is of course possible by embedding output into static webpages; no
need for an online compiler.)

I'm very much in favor of providing complete sample programs which users can
build right away and use as a starting point to play around with libraries.
However I'm not sure whether users would like to play around with examples
in a browser (can't remember that I ever wanted to do this)? If they really
want to, they could copy&paste code to http://melpon.org/wandbox. One could
provide a button or link next to every example which opens Wandbox and
copies&pastes code automatically. But I don't know whether there are enough
users out there who need this?

> * Comments (allows commenting on the documentation)

I think the most important advantage of comments is to interact with users
who can't be reached otherwise (because they aren't subscribed to mailing
lists for example). The biggest disadvantage is however that someone has to
interact with users. If users add comments and nobody replies, it's better
not to have comments at all. :)

> * Chats (allows discussing issues and solutions)

I guess it's a bit similar as with comments.

Personally I like to see social features being added to the website (and if
only temporary for a test). For us who we are subscribed to mailing lists it
may seem unnecessary. But I believe there are lots of users out there we
could interact with more easily if there were social features on the
website.

My two cents,
Boris