Subject: Re: [boost] [MMap/VM] RFC
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-03 12:11:39

Domagoj Saric <dsaritz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> for quite some time I've been working on a portable mmap/virtual memory
> library and I've finally found enough time to bring it out of the 'my
> internal litle tool' state into something presentable:
> https://github.com/psiha/mmap (C++14 currently).
> I would now kindly ask fellow devs for opinions (on the good, the bad,
> the ugly and the future;)
> First let me answer the basic questions (i.e. on motivation and scope)...

I'm interested in the general idea of controlling virtual memory explicitly
and portably.

>From a quick look at the code, it seems to deal with the following aspects:
 - map a file (not sure if anonymous is well supported)
 - set protection/access privileges
 - set mapping sharing properties

I'd like to have access to the following extended functionality:
 - map at a fixed address
 - actually allocate/free the pages
 - map the same hardware page to multiple places in virtual memory without a
file