Subject: Re: [boost] merge to master?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-05 10:08:14

On 3/5/16 1:45 AM, John Maddock wrote:

> On 05/03/2016 06:33, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> I've (finally!) got the latest version of the serialization library to
>> pass all the tests on develop. I would like to merge develop to
>> master. May I do this?
>>

> I still see a few issues:
>
> * The program iterator_test.cpp aborts when it tries to increment an
> out-of-range vector iterator with msvc (14 and 12).

I see this on the test matrix, but I haven't been able to reproduce it
locally.

> * Running the serialization tests under valgrind on Linux flags up a lot
> of failures (many of which may all be the same issue) - you can
> reproduce with
>
> bjam toolsetname testing.launcher="valgrind --error-exitcode=1"

Hmmm - there are a number of tests which trap in sanitizers and in
valgrind. These are artifacts of the tests and not the library. I
think most of these are dangling pointers which result from not deleting
dematerialized data structures via pointers. If I had nothing else to
do, I might go back and fix these tests - but it's a lot bigger job than
meets the eye and I've got other stuff to do.

> * There's at least one multiprecision test which fails with the new
> version (test_cpp_int_deserial.cpp) with vc12 and earlier, but not vc14
> strangely. It dies with an archive exception complaining that the
> archive is invalid with some VC compiler versions but not others.

The changes in this round are of the following

a) miscellaneous trac items fixed.
b) re-enabled codecvt facet which at some point got disabled.
c) modified code to use the standard library implementation of codecvt
if it's available and to use the local boost codecvt implementation
otherwise. This likely explains the difference in results between msvc
versions.
d) Enhancement to the test multi-byte characters. This generated errors
which have always been there by have never before been detected. Among
these places is

i) codecvt in some versions of the standard library
ii) codevt in some versions of msvc
iii) visibility attribute in boost codecvt facet

So, I believe that even though we are trapping more bugs, this is a
strict improvement to the previous version.

Robert Ramey