Subject: Re: [boost] [http] Design ideas for a request router
From: Rodrigo Madera (rodrigo.madera_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-14 22:58:46

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Artyom Beilis <artyom.beilis_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I'd suggest take a look on any of existing C++ web frameworks
> that has a good user base
> and contribute to it as lots of work had already been done in very good
> way.
>
> And of course I mean - look at CppCMS that already solved huge amount
> of problems
> you are talking about.

I believe that competition is really healthy here.

CppCMS is dual LGPL3 and commercially licensed, according to the website
you link. That reason alone, to me, justifies Vinicius' approach to provide
a Boost Licensed library without any legal restrictions.

However, on the technical side, I'm more on the idea that everything that
can be done at compile time, should be done at compile time. Handlers, even
routes, should be handled in compile time. [1]. This is C++, after all.

If I were in Vinicius' shoes I'd make every little aspect configurable
statically so the compiler and linker have everything they need to optimize
HTTP code to the fullest, which is the rare case where users will resort to
C++ for Web dev.

I see no gain in using a dynamic HTTP solution that doesn't leverage
extreme C++ performance possibilities. I'd rather stick to Node.js and use
C++ modules where appropriate.

My quarter cent,
Madera

[1] https://github.com/ipkn/crow