Subject: Re: [boost] [http] Design ideas for a request router
From: Artyom Beilis (artyom.beilis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-15 06:41:26

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Gavin Lambert <gavinl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 15/03/2016 15:58, Rodrigo Madera wrote:
>>
>> However, on the technical side, I'm more on the idea that everything that
>> can be done at compile time, should be done at compile time. Handlers,
>> even
>> routes, should be handled in compile time. [1]. This is C++, after all.
>

> While compile time should be the preferred option, it still must be possible
> to modify routes (and other things) at runtime as well

There is another critical point.

Compilation time - and I'm serious about it. Web development
is very dynamic by its nature if you make too many things in
"fancy-template-meta-programming-compile-time"
you'll loose users.

If you try to do all the stuff by GCC/Clang as Turing machine
you'll end with horrible compilation times and unmaintainable
code

For example one of the reasons I use Boost.Asio very carefully
due its header-only nature with almost impossible compilation
times.

Artyom