Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Not using Boost.Test for an official Boost library
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-22 05:46:43

It's not mandatory to use Boost.Test but it's widely understood and generally effective and suitable.

A lack of enthusiasm built up because of various bugs in Boost.Test that were not resolved as quickly as many would have liked.

However, it is now quite stable, actively maintained and has new and much improved documentation, so you can use it with confidence.

Using Boost static_assert does not conflict with using Boost.Test and is usually worthwhile protection against abuse by users.

To use the invaluable Boost suite of testers, allowing users to see in fine detail what works on what platforms, you will need to use b2/bjam, providing jamfile for the /test folder (and ideally also for /example folder).

(Aside: I note that there are many libraries that does not provide a jamfile to allow users to run all the examples quickly and easily. I'd like to see this done for all libraries.)

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse