Subject: [boost] [release] Download data
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-31 04:44:11

Hi,

Currently the download details for a release are included in the
quickbook source file for the release notes, which is a bit wonky, and
makes it tricky to add extra data, so I'm thinking about storing it
separately. This should make it easier to add things like hash
signatures and links to third party downloads, such as the windows
binaries.

So I'm thinking about how to make it easy for people to add the
details of their downloads. Could possibly create an extra file for
each release, and then people can add data using pull requests, much
as we've been using pull requests on the quickbook files, which seems
to work fairly well. Another possibility is that we could pull in the
details from the server's API, although I don't really fancy having to
support multiple data sources with different APIs. Any other ideas?

Also, is there any way in which you'd like me to make this kinds of
information available for your scripts, packaging etc.

Here's a rough version of how the internal data might be stored in a
JSON file (other file formats are possible):

{
    'version': '1.61.0',
    'status': 'beta',
    'release-notes': '/feed/history/boost_1_61_0.qbk',
    'documentation': '/doc/libs/1_61_0/',
    'downloads': [
        {
            'url': 'http://..../boost_1_61_0_beta1.tar.bz2',