Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] Project not maintained
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-03 12:07:41

On 4/3/16 7:21 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> The new plan is to go ahead with an Endian proposal to the C++ committee.
> They have the expertise to know whether it is even possible to convert
> between big and little endian floating point in any useful (and
> non-dangerous) way.

Hmmmm - Then there is the SG-6 committee which has pending a number of
proposals dealing with integer arithmetic (fixed binary, arbitrary
length integers, safe integers, and some more). Seems related to me.
I'm thinking that maybe this should be included.

> The committee's March and June meetings are aimed at shipping a C++17
> committee draft. The November meeting is Issaquah, WA, US, is likely the
> first meeting at which an Endian proposal will get any airtime.
>
> I'll update the Boost library docs accordingly.

But I'm not sure that this is a good reason to not maintain a library
which has been accepted into Boost. We've created an expectation that
everything in boost meets a certain standard and I'm wary of setting
that aside for any reason. I'm sure those who recommended the
acceptance of the library had every expectation that it would be
maintained if accepted. Do you think that the acceptance should be
reversed and the library withdrawn?

Robert Ramey