Subject: Re: [boost] [Root Pointer] Seeking a Review Manager
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-03 20:32:16

On 4/3/2016 8:13 PM, Phil Bouchard wrote:
> On 04/01/2016 07:32 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>> I realize you have a tutorial but what good would that do me if I have
>> no idea what 'root_pointer', 'make_root', 'node_ptr', and 'make_node'
>> has to do with anything ? Of course I can ask a ton of questions but why
>> would I want to do that if your doc doesn't tell me anything.
>>
>> My suggestion is to write documentation which seeks to explain the why,
>> what, and when of what you have created.
>
> I added better pitch in this introduction:
> http://philippeb8.github.io/root_ptr/root_ptr/intro.html
>
> I even added a pretty benchmark graph which compares it to other pointers.
>
> I still need to add more text to the tutorial...

I still am not getting what root_ptr<someType> is. Is it a replacement
for shared_ptr ? What is node_ptr<someType> ? How does a root_ptr relate
to a node_ptr ? Can there be numerous root_ptrs and node_ptrs for any
given 'someType' ? What root_ptr and node_ptr syntax solves cyclic
dependencies and how does this work ?

These are some of the basic questions introductions and/or overviews
should be explaining to prosepctive users of your library, preferably
with good examples illustrating the explanations. You know these things
but I do not see how you can expect others to know them unless you are
willing to explain them in your doc using understandable paragraphs and
sentences that communicate what you know.