Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] Project not maintained
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-04 09:55:05

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> I think it's not Boost.Endian's job to deal with FP implementations. Or
> integer implementations, for that matter.

Dealing with different implementations is technically outside the charter of
an "endianness" library. The end goal, however, is to let one read and write
integers and floats in non-native formats. And when those non-native formats
have a representation that is not a simple byteswap away from the native
one, it would be kind of useful if the library still worked.

> The interface can be defined to require a certain implementation of float
> or to simply ignore the implementation and consider input as opaque
> sequence of bytes. The implementation of that interface should just
> reorder bytes in that sequence, as requested, and do nothing more than
> that.

The interface could obviously be defined in various ways. What specific
interface do you suggest?